The title of this post is what I read online yesterday across numerous platforms including Facebook. This kind of general lack of understanding about our military and where we are in the world drives me up a wall.
First, Obama said we will be pulling MOST troops out of Iraq by December 31st. So let’s break this down.
1. MOST is not ALL. While there may be a considerable amount less in Iraq, they will not all be home.
2. December 31st is not home in time for the holidays. Close, but no.
3. We have thousands of troops in harm’s way in Afghanistan, not to mention several other countries. I can see not knowing about the other countries. But how do you forget about Afghanistan?! It’s where it all started after 9/11 and we sadly have mounting casualties there among our troops every week.
4. We have thousands of troops that are stationed permanently overseas in Germany, Japan and Korea just to name a few. Not to mention all of those who live their life on aircraft carriers and various other military ships at sea.
Don’t let this PR headline fool you. All of our troops will not be home. Military families who are at home without their loved one still need support. Military organizations that send packages and other morale boosters overseas still need your support. Our troops who are serving at home and abroad should be remembered and thanked EVERY SINGLE DAY regardless of where they are serving.
Just because we are mostly going to be out of Iraq by the end of the year does not mean that we no longer need to keep the military at the forefront of our thoughts and in our hearts.
They still need our support!!
- Out of Iraq? Combat Over?
- Welcome Home Shirts – Seven New Welcome Home Soldier Designs
- Candles for Our Troops
- Sgt Evans Sends Pizza to Troops
- Holidays in the Army
Filed under: Deployments